14 Aug 2020

Book Beginnings and the Friday 56 #40

 Book Beginnings on Friday and The Friday 56 are weekly memes hosted by Rose City Reader and Freda's Voice.

Rules: 

Book Beginnings: Share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. 

The Friday 56: Grab a book, turn to page 56 or 56% in you eReader. Find any sentence (not spoilery) and reflect on it if you want. 
 
Here's what I'm reading this week:
 
(A Fairy Garden Mystery #1) 
by Daryl Wood Gerber


Synopsis:

Fairy garden store owner Courtney Kelly believes in inviting magic into your life. But when uninvited trouble enters her shop, she'll need more than a sprinkling of her imagination to solve a murder . . .

Since childhood, Courtney has loved fairies. After her mother died when she was ten, she lost touch with that feeling of magic. A year ago, at age twenty-nine, she rediscovered it when she left her father's landscaping business to spread her wings and start a fairy garden business and teashop in beautiful Carmel, California. At Open Your Imagination, she teaches garden design and sells everything from fairy figurines to tinkling wind chimes and trickling fountains. Now she's starting a book club tea.

But the light of the magical world she's created inside her shop is darkened one night when she discovers neighboring dog-grooming business owner Mick Watkins dead beside a fountain. To make matters worse, the police suspect Courtney of the crime. To clear her name and find the real killer, Courtney will have to wing it. But she's about to get a little help from an unexpected new friend . . .

Book Beginning:

"Do you see her? Is she down there?" I tried not to let my five-year-old customer hear the panic in my voice.

The book opens with a rather lovely scene in which a little girl sees her first fairy. How cute!

The Friday 56:

Summers studied me as if he knew I was keeping something from him. My insides grumbled. Obfuscating the truth wasn't good for my digestion.
 
This cozy mystery, although I'm not even half way through it, has already made me obsessed with fairy gardens and right now I'm planning to create my first one...

What are you reading this week? Don't forget to leave your Friday links below so I can visit your blog and find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment