9 Nov 2014

Review - Born Wicked by Jessica Spotswood



Title: Born Wicked

Author: Jessica Spotswood

Rating: 4/5 stars

Sometimes I wish I had a sister – a sister with whom I could share my feelings and thoughts, who would understand my fears and motivations. The three sisters who are introduced to us in the first book of The Cahill Witch Chronicles certainly have an enviable connection – up until the time when a new governess and a prophecy turn their lives topsy-turvy and their relationship changes.

Cate, Maura and Tess are witches and such creatures are not welcome in New England anymore, therefore they do everything to hide their true identity from the people that surround them. But magic is not always controllable especially if the witches in question are the most powerful ones of their era.

I really enjoyed this book, although the beginning was a little bit slow for me. The tension was building slowly and the explosion was saved to the last fifty pages. I didn’t mind it that much though, because I was fascinated with the characters and I have to confess, I developed a crush on Finn, the book-loving gardener/love interest. I was rooting for him and Cate like crazy.

However, even if I had a chance to meet Finn, I would never choose to live in a world that is described on the pages of Born Wicked. Under the surveillance of the Brotherhood, women are supposed to behave like empty-headed housewives and be obedient lest they are labelled as witches (whether they are or not in reality) and dragged away to an asylum from where they can never return.

It was good to see how strong women characters (Zara, Marianne and Cate for exampe) rebelled silently – or at least tried to – against the system and at the same time it angered me how the ’official’ community of witches that should have helped the sisters turned out to be almost as bad as the Brotherhood.

I could have screamed when I finished the book, the cliffhanger was so infuriating! I can’t wait to find out what happens in book two. Hopefully I can put my hands on Star Cursed soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment