28 Aug 2016

Review - Doctor Who: A Matter of Life and Death



Title: Doctor Who: A Matter of Life and Death (The Eight Doctor Volume 1)

Author/Illustrator: George Mann, Emma Vieceli, Hi-Fi

Rating: 5/5 stars

Synopsis:

Eerie Victorian magic shows, living paintings, mysterious lost books, crystalline life-forms, space-barges crammed with the undead... Embrace all the Gothic Romance and interstellar terror of the Eighth Doctor in this new series starring the most-requested past incarnation!

 

My Thoughts:

I’m totally hooked! The art is amazing, the colouring is beautiful and the new companion is absolutely lovely!

A Matter of Life and Death features the Eighth Doctor who sweeps through time and space in a giddy fashion – as usual – craving a cup of tea all the while – as usual – leaving the work of saving worlds to others – as… wait, what??

Yes, quite surprisingly, the Doctor mostly leans back in this one and watches as Josie, a blue-haired Welsh painter girl, takes on his role and thus proves she is worthy to become a regular companion.

We follow them through six loosely connected stories that involve singing crystals, murderous plants, evil reflections and many more fascinating wrong-doers. I believe the writers found a perfect way to introduce a new companion and I didn’t mind at all that the Doctor was only present as a helper/mentor figure.

I liked that there were a lot of emotions floating around, especially towards the end and it was good to see how the Doctor’s philosophy – ‘everyone counts’– got addressed in the final chapter.

If the next installments will be as good as this one was, in the end I might end up owning a complete comic book series…
 
Goodreads | Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment