23 Aug 2018

Review - Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

Title: Ready Player One

Author: Ernest Cline

Synopsis:


In the year 2044, reality is an ugly place. The only time teenage Wade Watts really feels alive is when he's jacked into the virtual utopia known as the OASIS. Wade's devoted his life to studying the puzzles hidden within this world's digital confines, puzzles that are based on their creator's obsession with the pop culture of decades past and that promise massive power and fortune to whoever can unlock them. When Wade stumbles upon the first clue, he finds himself beset by players willing to kill to take this ultimate prize. The race is on, and if Wade's going to survive, he'll have to win—and confront the real world he's always been so desperate to escape.


My Thoughts:

Not being a gamer myself and knowing what Ready Player One is about, going into it I wasn't sure it'd be a book I'd entirely enjoy. I shouldn't have worried.

Most of the novel is set in a virtual reality called the OASIS. It's a world created by James Halliday who recently deceased and now his legacy is up for grabs... whoever finds the easter egg hidden in the game will inherit the OASIS and all the money that fuels it.

Wade Watts is a gunter, he dedicates all his time to his quest for the egg. When he finds the first clue he can't believe his luck... However, soon he realizes the danger that comes with his ambitions. The evil organization's the IOI's hand reaches out even to the real world and they'd do anything to beat Wade to the egg. 

The novel is packed with references to movies, tv shows and video games, mainly from the 1980s and 90s. It's fun to find out how many of the mentioned tv shows or movies you know. The video game references were mostly lost on me, but hey, no one is perfect... 

The movie Ladyhawke appeared so many times in the book I had to rewatch it because I remembered I'd loved it as a child. I also smiled at the Indiana Jones references and I especially appreciated when the song Kids wanna rock by Bryan Adams was mentioned. 80s, Baby.

Since I have a thing for popular culture in general, Ready Player One had a lot to offer to me. It's also a great adventure for the admirers of the 80s or the ones who were teenagers in that decade.

(Also it's a lot like Spykids 3D – Game Over for adults I just can't shrug this thought...)

Give yourself a favour and take a trip to the futuristic past. I know I'm glad I did.



No comments:

Post a Comment