23 Apr 2018

Discussion - Confessions of a Slow Reader

Hello and welcome to this discussion post about reading speed!

In the title of this post I state I'm a slow reader; let me define what that means in my case. It doesn't mean I don't read the same number of words as an average reader does in let's say an hour's time. Still, while other bloggers read 3-5 books a week, I usually finish only one in the same amount of time. 

In case you are a book blogger who reads waaaay more than that without putting any effort in this daily activity, you may come up with the following question:


If slow reading makes me an alien bookworm inside the bookish community, I'll proudly take the title. But the explanation for my reading pace is simple: I usually sit down, read about 10 pages, then get up and do something else. I repeat this cycle many times a day but even like that I usually finish one book a week (even when I have a lot of time to read!). Like I am with many other activities, I simply cannot concentrate on reading for a long period of time.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not writing this post for you because I feel sorry for myself for not being able to read more or faster (although I don't say I'm not a bit jelly of those who read more), neither is this post here to give an excuse for not sharing at least three reviews with you each week. 


I'm writing this as a shout-out to fellow bloggers who have the same reading pace as me: it's okay to read less, it's okay to be a bit slower! Take your time with each book, don't rush, because reading is first and foremost for YOUR entertainment. It's an incerdibly nice plus that we can share our opinions of a book online, but when we read what really counts is OUR relationship with the book. 

To those who manage to read over 100 books a year: You are champions, guys! I look up to you so much you have no idea. But don't forget that the same message goes to you as well. When you have to slow down or need a rest from reading, don't be ashamed to take it. I read one book a week and I don't feel bad about it, so you shouldn't either if you drop from 5 to 3 per week sometimes.


 Questions for you:

How many books do you read a week?

Are you satisfied with your reading pace?

Does it ever stress you if you can't read a certain amount of books in a certain amount of time?

No comments:

Post a Comment